Saturday 6 April 2013

I left out Yobo to save him from embarrassment– Keshi

Yobo has criticized his exclusion from the Kenya World Cup qualifiers. Super Eagles Chief Coach, Stephen Keshi , has reacted to the row between him and the team's captain, Joseph Yobo. Yobo was left out of Keshi's team for the World Cup qualifier against Kenya in Calabar after he had a dismal outing at the African nations cup. He has accused the coach of not being fair to him, and showing disrespect to the office of the captain.
In his defence, Keshi quipped that he was only trying not to embarrass Yobo by excluding him from the team that played in Calabar. "I did not inform him that he would not be in the game against Kenya because I knew I was not going to take him. When we were in South Africa together, I explained to him so I did not see any point calling him to inform him," Keshi said.  
"You see, I was trying to protect him from being embarrassed. He is my captain and Nigeria's captain and I didn't think it would be proper for me to bring Yobo down here against Kenya and leave him on the bench." I mean, whatever I did was to protect him but it seems as if he doesn't understand. This is not about being a captain, wanting to play-it's about Nigeria, it's about who is ready to play for Nigeria and I am not going to put sentiments in these decisions. "Indeed, if he is angry that I didn't call him- I have the right to call him and I have the right not to call him. In any case, as a professional, he should have called me to say, "Coach, what is going on?" rather than going to the media. But I don't have anything against him," he concluded.

Like our Fan's page on Facebook here: Naijagigs  and on Twitter here: @naijagigs

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment here. Thanks!